Saturday 16 July 2016

A portrait of a 1970s radical

It all seems perfectly obvious now. Of course I was going to find myself at a writers festival at some stage in life.



Just look at me here.


me 
It looks as though I've just taken time out from my Marxist revolutionary comrades to have a portrait taken for posterity. Viva la revolucion! 

I was the Che Guevara of Grade Prep at Laurel Street Primary School, ca late 1970s.

There is the functional yet groovy skivvy. The funky jacket - I totally wish I still owned that jacket - and a haircut of serious intellectual reckoning.  

The severe Brando-esque under-bite - that would later be prettified by bourgeois orthodontics - and an attitude that sneers I am rebelling against whatever you've got.*

The 1970s was such a classic period. I feel sorry for those that missed it. And for those who were there and have gone all vague about it here is a reminder.  

In 1973 - when I was born - Natalie Wood had her photograph taken. She is so lovely.


the lovely natalie wood in 1973

In 1974, Richard Nixon was forced to resign due to the Watergate scandal 




1975 - Australia's prime minister, Gough Whitlam, was sensationally dismissed by the Governor General, Sir John Kerr. 

What can said about 1976? the Apple computer company was formed by Steve Jobs and Steve Wozniak. 





And an earthquake in Tangshan China killed over 240,000 people. 

Elvis Presley died in 1977




Elvis live at Madison Square Gardens is still worth a listen.





1978 saw the very first Garfield comic strip published. 



Back in 1979 I would eat fish fingers smothered in tomato sauce followed by ice cream with chocolate topping and watch The Goodies, Dr Who - which I seriously didn't understand - and The Sullivans on television. I didn't really understand The Sullivans either. But I liked the war stuff. 



the goodies - it's whatever turns you on



Pink Floyd released 'The Wall'. Needless to say I did not really understand this either. But I liked the marching hammers. 

 

this clip - above - is actually from the 1982 movie 


and here are the marching hammers




So this is some of the stuff happening during my childhood. 

*To be honest I was probably a bit anxious about having my photo taken!





No comments:

Post a Comment