Friday 8 July 2016

Things that inspire me



This is Ann Lee Patterson. Or Anne Lee Peterson. Or Ann Lee Paterson... Or... there are so many variations of her name on the internet that it becomes bit of a mystery to determine exactly what her name was. 

Doing my best Phillip Marlowe I have been able to pin her name down to Anne Lee Patterson
She was Miss United States in 1931.
She was a performer with the fabulous Ziegfeld Follies

I am smitten with her exquisiteness. 



I have recently started to get into 'old' photographs. The above picture is "An allotment holder at work on his plot of ground by the Albert Hall Memorial in Kensington Gardens May 1942". 

The gentlemen is tending to his 'Dig for Victory' garden. 

I have a growing collection of these sort of photographs on Pinterest. My Pinterest is a fun way to explore moods and evocations. It is a way for me to take some sort of visual stimulation and incorporate it at some later point into some form of creative endeavor. Whatever that may be. 

I enjoy gardening. It has an elemental quality to it. It allows me to feel connected to life, the sacred and profane, the practical and spiritual. Having your hands covered in shit from a solid afternoon's toil in the garden can provide surprisingly pleasant moments of transcendence.





Django Reinhardt and Stephane Grapelli doing 'Minor Swing'.
This is so fucking cool. 

I am a guitar player. Nothing professional, just muck about in my spare time. It's a fun past-time. You can become quite absorbed into it. It becomes like a meditation. You can be focused yet free, disciplined and at the same time spontaneous. You just have to find a groove and go for it. 

  


No comments:

Post a Comment